Simple recipes for thin English style pancakes and thick, small American pancakes. You choose.
100g plain flour
300ml semi-skimmed milk
1 tbsp sunflower oil or vegetable, plus extra for frying
1. Sieve the flour and a pinch of salt into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
2. Crack the eggs into the middle, then pour in about 50ml milk and 1 tbsp oil. Start whisking from the centre, gradually drawing the flour into the eggs, milk and oil.
4. Once all the flour is incorporated, beat until you have a smooth, thick paste.
5. Add a little more milk if it is too stiff to beat.
6. Add a good splash of milk and whisk to loosen the thick batter. While still whisking, pour in a steady stream of the remaining milk.
7. Continue pouring and whisking until you have a batter that is the consistency of slightly thick single cream.
8. Leave to stand for 30 minutes before using
9. Oil a large frying pan and heat until quite hot.
10. Pour enough batter into the pan to just cover the base, swirling around to cover all the pan
11. Cook until set then flip over and cook other side for about 30 second until brown.
135g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp caster sugar
130 ml milk
2 tbsp melted butter, plus extra for frying
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar into a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl or jug, lightly whisk together the milk and egg, then whisk in the melted butter.
3. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and, using a whisk, beat until you have a smooth, thick batter. Any lumps will soon disappear with a little mixing.
4. Let the batter stand for a few minutes.
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter. When it's melted, add a ladle of batter (5-10cm diameter to your preference).
6. It should be quicte thick
7. Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown and the pancake has risen to about 1cm thick.
The traditional toppings are Sugar & Lemon for English pancakes and butter & Maple syrup for the American ones.
Try these ideas: Sliced bananas & yoghurt; fresh berries & yoghurt or ice cream; lime & yoghurt; strawberries & cream; any fruit couli or sauce with ice cream......